Lilypie

March 16, 2009

Registry Issues

What would you do?
When we registered for our wedding we went with T@rget because that is where I felt we could kill all birds with one stone, and mostly because people were coming from all places so I figured anyone could shop there if they wanted. Well, I got a little bit of flack from some people because we didn't register someplace "local" - as in where people from Houghton/Hancock could shop easily, since the nearest T@rget is 100 miles away. In Houghton, "local" = W@lmart. I never really understood that issue since the internet is redily available to everyone, but I guess some people don't like to shop online, which is fine I guess.
So, this time around, I figured I would avoid the same issue and register at the World of Wal. I started online and found most of the items I was looking for, although I was disappointed that the entire stock of baby items was not available online to add to the registry. We figured we would just stop in one evening and add the rest manually.

WELL, that is no longer possible at our local store (and I haven't figured out if this is an isolated case or a nation-wide thing). They have removed their registry kiosk! So, basically that means:

  • I can't add the rest of the items I wish to
  • People can only see what we want by going online and printing out our list - but they won't find out until the first time they go to the store's non-existant registry kiosk.
  • There is no method of tracking purchases made in-store, so we may end up with many multiples.

To me this defeats the purpose of even having a registry, especially a "local" one since that is where the majority of people coming to the shower will probably shop.

I am torn. Of course, I'm getting the same push to keep a local place and then deal with getting random or multiple gifts - and then just returning things for what we need - in the event that people attach a gift receipt. But I'm really tempted to just delete my registry and start all over online at Tar-jay, where I can actually register for everything the baby needs. I will probably get the same annoyed reactions about the location of the registry, and probably some people will just buy whatever at the local store instead.

What should I do???

4 comments:

alauna said...

The thing about registries is that they SHOW you what's on the list. I'd register at Target if you know you can get everything you need/want. To those that complain, you can explain the situation and let them know that they can certainly purchase Johnson & Johnson lavender baby oil at the local Wal-mart. I don't think there's a discount to the person purchasing off the registry, so in essence it's just a wish list with the option to purchase at that store.

Melissa said...

I agree with alauna! One thing though to be aware of is Target is HORRIBLE with the return policy! If you don't have a reciept or gift reciept, they will only let you exchange for the same item in a diff color/style. I had a horrible time there with my wedding. I ended up doing babies r us for the pregnancy and they were WONDERFUL!

Stephanie said...

I completely agree with Melissa! Target was pretty bad about returns! BUT babies R us changed their policy as well. As long as something is on your registry you wont have a problem getting store credit. Stick with whatever you can register for the most you need at :)

O'Kanes said...

Hey Jen,
I would delete the walmart one if I were you. What about registering at 2 places like shopko (to satisy the locals) and Target (for the main items?

I just think if you stick with the Walmart one it will be more of a hassle in the long run and you will be stuck with items you can't return.

just my 2 cents

love ya,
Kim