I don't know where to start...by describing the guilt or the frustration. Frustration first maybe?
I've kind of casually mentioned a few of Wilson's sicknesses - but the truth is, she has been incredibly expensive to own so far . To be honest, in 9 months we've invested around $3,000 into her between illness, routine vet visits, training, toys/accessories, initial purchase, and the fence we wouldn't have if not for her. We don't exactly have this kind of money to throw around. I know dogs can be expensive and I should not complain because I decided to get one...I am just a little frustrated that we got so unlucky because there are pets out there who never seem to get sick. I guess if we weren't trying to use our money for so many other things I wouldn't mind, but it is kind of sucking us dry at a bad time for us.
Yesterday there was another trip to the vet for similar digestive problems that we had 2 weeks ago - $$. Why this recurred - no idea, but problematic because I'm sure it will happen AGAIN. This morning, we noticed this lump in the corner of her eye. After taking some pictures and talking to a family friend who is a vet, we are pretty sure Wilson has "cherry eye" or prolapse of the 3rd eyelid. Basically, the gland under her 2nd eyelid popped out and needs to get sewn back down. Unfortunately, it can be a chronic and costly condition, requires surgery (sometimes multiple times) and we are kind of shattered that this is happening RIGHT NOW. With 8 days to go until baby's due date. I was looking online and people are saying that the surgery is anywhere from $300-$1000, most people paying around $600 - and lots of people have it done multiple times. Ouch. It's just not good timing. And there is not really an option to forgo surgery. I am hoping we can find a vet around here who may consider a payment plan for this and knows how to do the surgery with a low chance of recurrence - and really soon, not knowing when baby will be here?
That being said, I feel incredibly guilty for even complaining one bit. I mean, the poor dog is sick. Her tummy doesn't feel good, now her eye is all messed up and it breaks my heart to look at her. She is so beautiful, but right now she looks pathetic, although from what I read she is not particularly bothered other than having partially blocked vision. It is so hard to look at her without thinking "what a shame" and just wanting to cuddle her, kiss her face and cry. My mom said that she suspects it is a breeding issue causing all the predisposition to illness - maybe so, tack on the guilt I feel now that I know that I have chosen to purchase a dog and support the breeding problem. I feel guilty that I complain about her, and get annoyed when she is full of naughty antics.
People keep asking why we still have her - with all the behavioral issues (which thankfully are improving!) and sickness on top of a newborn. So I feel guilty that I might not be making the right decision as a parent to continue owning this dog. We love her. These things are not her fault, why should we ditch her? I can't even imagine abandoning her, even if it was to a good home I hand picked myself. I just can't do it. It breaks my heart to consider that - I am an animal lover and I feel committed to her. I guess I blame myself for all of this, Marc never wanted to get a dog, and now I feel like his life is not what he wanted it to be because of all the trouble we get from my decision.
I guess I'm crossing my fingers we'll get a break soon. Or maybe we'll have to get pet insurance.
On a positive note, the fence is coming along nicely. Marc is about halfway done - major progress today. It looks great!!!
I've kind of casually mentioned a few of Wilson's sicknesses - but the truth is, she has been incredibly expensive to own so far . To be honest, in 9 months we've invested around $3,000 into her between illness, routine vet visits, training, toys/accessories, initial purchase, and the fence we wouldn't have if not for her. We don't exactly have this kind of money to throw around. I know dogs can be expensive and I should not complain because I decided to get one...I am just a little frustrated that we got so unlucky because there are pets out there who never seem to get sick. I guess if we weren't trying to use our money for so many other things I wouldn't mind, but it is kind of sucking us dry at a bad time for us.
Yesterday there was another trip to the vet for similar digestive problems that we had 2 weeks ago - $$. Why this recurred - no idea, but problematic because I'm sure it will happen AGAIN. This morning, we noticed this lump in the corner of her eye. After taking some pictures and talking to a family friend who is a vet, we are pretty sure Wilson has "cherry eye" or prolapse of the 3rd eyelid. Basically, the gland under her 2nd eyelid popped out and needs to get sewn back down. Unfortunately, it can be a chronic and costly condition, requires surgery (sometimes multiple times) and we are kind of shattered that this is happening RIGHT NOW. With 8 days to go until baby's due date. I was looking online and people are saying that the surgery is anywhere from $300-$1000, most people paying around $600 - and lots of people have it done multiple times. Ouch. It's just not good timing. And there is not really an option to forgo surgery. I am hoping we can find a vet around here who may consider a payment plan for this and knows how to do the surgery with a low chance of recurrence - and really soon, not knowing when baby will be here?
That being said, I feel incredibly guilty for even complaining one bit. I mean, the poor dog is sick. Her tummy doesn't feel good, now her eye is all messed up and it breaks my heart to look at her. She is so beautiful, but right now she looks pathetic, although from what I read she is not particularly bothered other than having partially blocked vision. It is so hard to look at her without thinking "what a shame" and just wanting to cuddle her, kiss her face and cry. My mom said that she suspects it is a breeding issue causing all the predisposition to illness - maybe so, tack on the guilt I feel now that I know that I have chosen to purchase a dog and support the breeding problem. I feel guilty that I complain about her, and get annoyed when she is full of naughty antics.
People keep asking why we still have her - with all the behavioral issues (which thankfully are improving!) and sickness on top of a newborn. So I feel guilty that I might not be making the right decision as a parent to continue owning this dog. We love her. These things are not her fault, why should we ditch her? I can't even imagine abandoning her, even if it was to a good home I hand picked myself. I just can't do it. It breaks my heart to consider that - I am an animal lover and I feel committed to her. I guess I blame myself for all of this, Marc never wanted to get a dog, and now I feel like his life is not what he wanted it to be because of all the trouble we get from my decision.
I guess I'm crossing my fingers we'll get a break soon. Or maybe we'll have to get pet insurance.
On a positive note, the fence is coming along nicely. Marc is about halfway done - major progress today. It looks great!!!

3 comments:
Hey Little Jen! I just wanted to say good luck with your dog. As soon as you see your little boys face light up when that dog walks in the room it will all be worth it.
Thanks Erica that is a really great point:) I think I've reasoned at least once with myself that she will be the baby's first "best friend" - there is comfort in that:)
are a great mom (already) and a great wife:) (even if im not the husband) You are doing a really good job holding it together, and I think of you everyday:)
Post a Comment