Lilypie

December 7, 2009

Eli Update - Lots of Development going on here!

It's been a while since I mentioned what new things Eli is up to lately. In the past few weeks he's conquered:
  • Rolling from tummy to back
  • Using his feet for many of the same things hands would be used for
  • Eating his feet
  • Anything size 3-6 months: outgrown
  • Making razzing sounds
  • Sticking his tongue out
  • Laughing when he's tickled (very ticklish little boy!)
  • Grabbing Wilson if she's close-loves to pull her ears
  • Sitting in his bathtub
  • Standing with help
  • Holding his own bedtime bottle
  • Eating peas, carrots, rice, and bananas
  • Playing happily for some time on his belly
  • Maneuvering 360 degrees in the exersaucer
  • Maneuvering the floor while on his back (spins like a clock)
  • Swiping and pulling toys closer to him while playing on his back
Things he's making progress on:
  • Rolling from back to tummy. I guess he does it at daycare all the time. At home he mainly gets stuck on his arm. Since he doesn't love being on his tummy there isn't quite enough incentive to roll often (my guess). But, he is starting to figure out that he can use his knees to get him places (creeping?), so it won't be long before this is a normal mode of transportation:)
  • Applesauce - still thinks its a little tart.
  • I think he is starting to understand his name and a few phrases we say a lot
  • Warming up to relatives (still a mama's boy)
Things to do in the next weeks:
  • We'll be trying butternut squash, green beans, beets, avocado, apricots, and pears next I think (in some order, it is going to take a while). Maybe another type of cereal too to vary the rice.
  • Drinking from a cup.
  • Hopefully sit up on his own! Playing will be so much more fun then! He wants to sit so bad, so we spend a lot of time holding him that way on the floor with his toys.
  • 6-month well baby appointment - another shot :(
  • Pop a tooth through - he's still drooling and chewing everything but no teeth yet.
He's getting huge! I will be excited to see his stats at the next appointment. He continues to nurse nurse nurse and eat solids pretty well. He doesn't open wide for the spoon, but he kind of attacks it. Hard to describe. He gets pretty bad gas from eating solids, I hope his system adjusts soon. I am somewhat looking forward to pumping less at work, but overall, I am sad that my full time nursing is just about over. I savor our time we spend together doing this because he's already starting to have less of an attention span for nursing. I plan to allow him to wean himself...whenever that happens is fine with me whether it is in the next months or year. Hands down still one of the best and worst memories I have of his childhood so far and I will cry when it is all over.

I am really enjoying introducing him to foods, and I've made all my own baby food so far and intend to continue with that. It's super easy and helps give me meal ideas for us anyways. I have ziplock bags in the freezer with cubes of baby food made up, and a whole book of baby food recipes my mom found-some look so good I can't wait to try them myself. My rule of thumb is if it is not appetizing to me then why would it be for him? I think he agrees. For instance I had some banana baby food given to us....I thought it smelled funny and he wouldn't even swallow it. So I mashed up a banana on the counter - LOVES IT! He's a fresh food lover already!

Pictures soon :D

1 comment:

alauna said...

i'm so glad to hear that you love nursing - i am anxious about it and hope all goes well. i want to make baby food, too, so i'm excited to hear more about your recipes and what eli likes.