Lilypie

October 15, 2007

Catching the Kitty

I have a kitty friend at my apartment, well, I'm not sure it wants to be my friend but I'm befriending it. It's a pretty caramel swirly colored stray and started hanging around when new neighbors with a cat moved in downstairs. It's extrememly starved and afraid of people, but likes to stare through the window at the other cat. I only see it around later in the evenings, after work - or darting through the alley when I pull up in the back of the apartments.
My plan is to try to "friend" it by feeding it and then take it to the humane society. I'ts getting cold, and it looks hungry, so I feel so bad for it. Last night it followed me around and came within arm's reach when I gave it some chicken. It tries to get in my trash, and seems to have done #2 (several times) outside by my trash can. Is it marking it's territory by my trash?
I was thinking of asking the humane society for a small crate to put food and a blanket in for the kitty to get it friendlier and give it a place to stay on frosty nights. Do they do that? Won't I be surprised when a skunk comes rolling out of there in the morning? God forbid.
Does anyone have any tips for this?

No comments: